It’s important to have the best homeowner’s insurance to protect your investment and family. There are many issues that insurance companies take into account when writing a policy for your home. One of the things they look at is the home’s electrical system – specifically the electrical panel. This panel is the control center of your home’s electrical system and there are certain panels that insurance companies just won’t cover.
Federal Pacific Electrical Company panels are one of the biggest offenders. These panels were one of the most commonly used panels in US homes throughout the 1950s and into the 1980s, but eventually electricians and home inspectors discovered that these panels did not provide the proper protection. With just one short circuit or overcurrent, FPE panels will start to overheat and can quickly become a serious fire hazard.
Zinsco panels have also been shown to cause similar problems. Like FPE panels, Zinsco panels were once commonly used; however, as the electrical needs of today’s homeowners increased, these panels were no longer able to handle the heavy load.
If you’ve got either of these once status quo panels in your home, upgrading to a current panel as soon as possible is crucial to your safety and our team of Jacksonville electrical contractors is ready to help you make the switch.
Whether you are buying a new home or just getting a new insurance policy, it’s always important to make sure that your electrical panel is up to date. Contact us today to learn more about upgrading your panel.
Making your home look unique and sophisticated is simple when you add recessed lighting. Take a look at these advantages and consider making an upgrade:
- Creates Space – When you use recessed lighting, you create the illusion of having more space in your home. Recessed lighting gives off a subtle glow, which helps blur the edges of the room to make it appear larger than it actually is. This is a good tip for people who want to make a smaller room look bigger but don’t have money or space for an actual expansion.
- Highlights Design Elements – Do you have a book collection you want to highlight or a beautiful work of art that you want everyone to notice the moment they step into the room? You can use recessed lighting to cast light on these or any other décor in your home.
- Upgrade Your Home – Whether you are trying to sell your property or just giving your home a makeover, recessed lighting can help make your home look new! These lights will add new character to your home that you wouldn’t see with standard lighting hanging down from the ceiling.
The professionals at Mister Sparky are standing by to assist you with custom recessed lighting installations in your home. Call us today at (904) 802-0579 to hire a Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician!
Anyone who has purchased a home can tell you that the inspection and appraisal portion can be one of the trickier aspects of the overall process. When you are in the market for a home and are concerned about the electrical system, you may want to consider hiring an electrician to provide you with a focused inspection of the electrical system, including the wiring and panel.
The major difference between a general home inspector and an electrical inspector is that most general inspectors only know a little bit about a lot of different areas, while an electrician specializes in knowing exactly how a home should be wired. If you are getting a mortgage, you’ll certainly need a general home inspection, but if you have any electrical system concerns, you’ll want to make sure you hire an electrician to assist you with any issues that the seller may need to address before the sale. An electrician will be able to properly access your electrical panel, tell you if the outlets should be replaced, and search for safety hazards like grounding problems or water leaking into service parts.
The electrical contractors in Jacksonville, FL, at Mister Sparky uses advanced tools and proven methods to make sure that everything in your home is working properly. From installing new outlets to full wiring services, our team is ready to make your property perfect!
You and your family can avoid the inconvenience of a power outage when you invest in a new automatic power generator. When you have a generator installed in your home, you’ll be able to:
- Keep Your Refrigerator Running – Have you ever had to lose an entire refrigerator of food due to a power outage? You won’t have to worry about it when you have a generator. Having a generator is particularly helpful if you like to go bulk shopping and have a large freezer filled with perishables.
- Continue with Your Activities – Just because the power is out, you shouldn’t have to lose access to your electrical items. You can continue cooking dinner, watch TV, and stay on your computer without skipping a beat.
- Stay Home – Having to pick up your entire family and head to some other location is a real pain. When you have a generator, you can continue to stay in your home as long as you can keep the generator running. Stop worrying about relocating after a big storm and stay comfy and cozy in your home.
The Mister Sparky staff offers exceptional assistance to anyone looking for a generator service in Jacksonville, FL. From installations to repairs, our team has you covered.
Doing work on your own home is very satisfactory, but some tasks are best left to the experts. Electrical repairs are definitely on that list of tasks. When you hire an electrician, you can avoid the following problems:
- Electrocution – Many of us have experienced a small electrical shock. It’s not pleasant. When you hire an electrician, you can avoid the risks of getting a small or large shock that could come with working on your own home. Electrical shocks can cause a wide array of problems, including seizures and heart attacks, as well as death.
- Fires – If you don’t properly install your electrical items, you run the risk of causing a fire. A fire can destroy your property and – even worse – harm your family members. Have the peace of mind you need to sleep at night by hiring an electrician.
- Making the Problem Worse – Many people who try their hand at electrical repairs end up making the problem worse. You’ll have to hire an electrician anyway, so why not avoid the costly repairs and call in a professional from the start.
Save money and more when you hire an electrician from Mister Sparky. Whether you are seeking a Ponte Vedra electrician or dependable assistance west of the Intracoastal Waterway, our business is here to help you!
Have you just moved into a new home? Perhaps you’ve been in your house for years and you’re just beginning to experience electrical problems that have developed over time. Whatever the case may be, you might find yourself facing some of the most commonly encountered electrical issues. These may include:
- Dead Outlets – Many homeowners have problems with dead outlets. This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, such as a poor connection or a tripped breaker. You should be concerned if there is excessive heat buildup, as it could cause the outlet to melt.
- High Electric Bills – If your electric bill has spiked recently, an electrical problem may be the cause. You should take a look at all the appliances in your home to make sure they are all properly hooked up and working correctly. Some simple troubleshooting could take care of the problem, but it could also be the sign of a bigger issue.
- Shorting Appliances – Standard electronics like hairdryers and microwaves have been known to cause shorts in many homes. When you are having this problem, the simplest way to take care of the issue is to reset the breaker. If this is happening with multiple appliances, it may indicate a short in the wiring.
When you are facing any of these problems, you can rely on Mister Sparky for dependable service. From helping people in the Arlington area to working hard as a Ponte Vedra electrician, our crew is prepared to take care of all of your electrical issues.
Times are changing and electrical systems are no exception. You’ve probably noticed that a wide array of electrical items – cellphones, computers, and more – are being powered using USB outlets instead of the standard electrical outlets. Did you know that you can install USB outlets in your own home? Make room for more charging abilities with an electrical outlet!
The beautiful thing about installing these outlets is you won’t have to worry about using bulky chargers or spending money on power strips anymore. You can install them next to your bed so you can charge your phone at night or put one next to your couch so you won’t have to use your tablet in an unusual, inconvenient area. You can purchase these outlets in a wide array of shapes and sizes, with most selections ranging in price from $12 to $25. They are very easy to install with features that include built-in surge protection and special outlet combinations. If you are moving, you can install these outlets in your home to add extra incentives for prospective buyers.
If you don’t feel confident installing your own outlet, the team at Mister Sparky can help! Our electrical contractors in Jacksonville, FL, are prepared to assist you with any electrical project, big or small.
Have you ever opened up your electric bill and balked at the amount owed? You’re not the only one! There are a variety of reasons why it may be too high – you have insulation problems, air is escaping through your windows, or something in your system isn’t working properly. You may also be dealing with appliances that are just sucking your energy. Here are a few of the worst offenders:
Central Air – Everyone knows that a central air system uses the most energy to operate. If you have it running around the clock, then you are spending up to $1.50 per hour it is operational. Do the math and you’ll realize that all of those hours add up.
Refrigerator – Your fridge also sucks down a lot of power. Making sure that your refrigerator is not running too cold and is working properly is a great way to stop your bill from getting too high. You should also consider investing in an energy efficient refrigerator if you haven’t already done so.
Dryer – Do you have a dryer at home? If so, it may be costing you up to $.40 per hour it runs. Before running every piece of clothing you own through the dryer, pause to ask yourself if it can be air dried. Take advantage of those bright and sunny Florida days to hang your clothes outside on a line instead.
Talk to a technician at Mister Sparky today to learn more about why your energy bill is high. We can provide you with an electrical inspection in Jacksonville to discover any problem areas.
New Year’s Day has come and gone, which means it’s time to make some smart resolutions. Whether you are a homeowner who is concerned with the environment or are just a regular joe looking for ways to keep your electric bill down, the new year is a great time to reduce your energy spending. Take a look at these ideas:
Keep It Cool – Floridians are sensitive to those colder days. It may be tempting to crank up that thermostat on those colder days, but putting on a sweater or socks is often just as good. You can make things cozy at home by investing in a big throw blanket and sitting on the couch watching movies with your family on those particularly chilly days.
Heater Efficiency – Did you test your heater before turning it on for long-term usage this year? If not, it doesn’t hurt to have an HVAC specialist take a look at it and make sure that your system is running properly. You are likely due for maintenance after those hot days.
Check Your Windows – Making sure that your windows are properly insulated can change the way you run the heater or AC in your home. If your windows feel drafty, invest in some weatherproofing to stop the blowing! This also stops cool air from escaping your home during the summer.
Do you need help with your electrical system? Whether you need a Riverside, Arlington, or Ponte Vedre electrician, our team is available to assist you in the Jacksonville area today.
Hanging your exterior lighting with care is very important, but you also need to make sure that your interior décor is nice and safe – that means making sure that your Christmas tree does not become a fire hazard. Here are some handy tips to keep your Christmas tree safe before Santa arrives:
Find a Fresh Tree – One of the best ways to avoid fires and electrical problems is to find a fresh tree. When you are purchasing your tree, you’ll want to look for vibrant, green selections with no brown needles.
Use Certified Safe Christmas Lights – You want to make sure you are using UL- or ETL/ITSNA-tested lighting for your tree. Never use exterior Christmas lights for your indoor décor.
Turn Out the Lights at Night – Are you just about ready to go to bed? Then turn out the lights on the tree. Letting them run all night means you won’t be awake to notice any problems until it’s too late. Santa will have no problem finding his way in the dark.
Electrical safety is very important in any location – be it at your home or your business. When you need Jacksonville electrical contractors to assist you with your problems, the staff at Mister Sparky is ready to help! From electrical inspections and wiring assistance to ceiling fan and generator installations services, we do it all.