Electrical outlets may spark from time to time. Many times, you will notice a small blue spark that will come and go quickly – this is normal, but there are some bad sparks. If you see long sparks, big sparks that leap out of the sockets, or sparks that are followed by the smell of smoke, you might be having one of the following issues:
- Old Outlets – Outlets do not last forever. Standard use will cause the contact points in your outlets to wear out. In extreme cases of wear, significant electrical arcing can occur. It is essential that you be mindful of this potential issue if you have moved into an older home.
- Short Circuit Issues – When an outlet’s hot wire comes in contact with the neutral or ground wire, a short circuit can occur. The outlet will start to draw in an excessive current, which will cause sparking and heat, eventually causing a fire.
- Moisture – Sparking may be related to a moisture issue. If you happened to splash some water on the outlet, it should be dried out before you use it again. On the other hand, there could be a leak in your wall that may be a sign of more significant problems.
When you are having problems with your outlets, you can contact our electrical contractors in Jacksonville, FL. The team at Mister Sparky provides repair services, as well as new outlet installations.
Upgrading and updating your home is a great way to start the year. You should contact the experts at Mister Sparky before you attempt any of the following projects:
- Light Fixtures – Installing new light fixtures in your home is not a difficult project, but many people start to lose track of the wiring once they get the old light removed. Instead of dealing with it all by yourself, one of our experts can quickly assist you and make recommendations to improve your lighting.
- Ceiling Fans – Get the air moving in your home with a new ceiling fan. Our team work with a variety of ceiling fans, including stack-motor fans that are energy efficient, direct-drive fans that are affordable for people on a budget, and cast-iron fans for people who want a vintage look in their home.
- Electrical Panel Updates – If you are doing any upgrades that involve the electrical panel, it is vital that you contact a specialist before getting started. We can guarantee that the update is performed safely and efficiently.
When you need assistance with any electrical installations or upgrades in the home, you can rest assured that our electrical contractors in Jacksonville, FL, are ready to assist you. Contact us today when you need help in Jacksonville, Orange Park, Ponte Vedra, and the surrounding communities.
The electrical panel is an integral part of your home. Without it, you would not be able to efficiently and safely use electricity in your home. Whether you have purchased a new property or are just in need of a new upgrade, here are three important reasons to upgrade your panel:
- Your Panel is Old – If you have been living in your home for many years, it is likely you have not even considered how your electrical panel is working. There are a variety of panels that are no longer used from the 50s, 60s, and 70s that are no longer safe to use, including FPE and Zinsco panels.
- Your Panel is Damaged – Burn marks, scorches, and corrosion problems are significant signs that you should get your panel replaced as soon as possible. Even if this damage happened in the past and has not been causing issues now, it is essential that you take care of it before your system fails.
- Your Panel is Acting Odd – When you notice heat coming from your panel, as well as humming or fizzing sounds, you should call an electrician as soon as possible. They can tell you what is wrong with your system and install a replacement panel immediately.
You can come to us when you are seeking an electrician in Orange Park, FL, as well as areas throughout Jacksonville. Our team will assist you with a panel, in addition to any wiring issues.
As the year comes to an end, you should make sure that the electrical system in your home is working properly. Here are a handful of things you can do to check the functionality of your electrical system this season:
- Upgrade Your Light Bulbs – As the seasons change and it starts getting dark earlier, you will be relying on lamps and overhead lights to see in your home. This is an excellent time of the year to make sure that all of your light bulbs have been updated to energy-efficient LED bulbs. Using these bulbs will help lower your electric bill.
- Check Out Your Fire Detector – We know that things get a bit busy around this time of the year, but you should be testing your fire detectors at least once a month to make sure they are working properly. Take a few moments to make sure your detectors are working efficiently and replace any batteries if necessary.
- Make Sure Your Circuit Breaker is Working Efficiently – When was the last time you tested your circuit breaker? If it has been a while, you should consider turning it on and off. By doing this, you will stop it from becoming stuck and causing problems in the future.
Make sure the electrical system in your home is working correctly with help from Mister Sparky. Our Jacksonville electrical contractors can help you with upgrades around the house, such as installing new outlets and updating your wiring.
Electrical fires are a real hazard and something you should be prepared to address. We have put together a list of some of the reasons why electrical fires start in the home:
- Old Electronics – It does not matter how dependable you think an appliance may be, it will eventually wear out. Be mindful of older stove ranges and space heaters, as these appliances typically become a fire hazard. You should also be aware of the manufacturer’s recommended years of usage.
- Tripped Circuits – Overloaded circuits are a big problem and many people do not pay attention to the warning signs that come with this problem. When you have circuits that frequently trip, you should contact your local electricians to have them inspect your current system. Taking care of this now can prevent fires in the future.
- Overloaded Extension Cords – When you use too many extension cords around the house, you are setting yourself up for fire. Extension cords should only be used when necessary and never as a permanent solution. If you do not have enough outlets in your home, an electrician can install new outlets.
You can count on the team at Mister Sparky to help you when you need an electrician in Orange Park, FL, as well as Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra. We provide a variety of services, including wiring, ceiling fan installations, and lighting assistance.
Christmas time is right around the corner, which means it is time to start hanging your Christmas lights. Before you start decorating this year, consider the following tips:
- Upgrade Your Lights – When was the last time you invested in new lights for your home? Before you hang lights on your home, take a look at the selections you have and consider making an upgrade. We also recommend getting rid of broken light strings or any lights that you have been using longer than a decade.
- Use Proper Extension Cords – While getting your lighting together, you should take a look at the extension cords you have on hand. You should always make sure you are using outdoor cords only. If you are not sure about your extension cords, you can find new ones at your area hardware store.
- Work with a Friend or Family Member – Christmas is about spending time with the people you love, so why not decorate the exterior of your home with their help? Not only will you be making memories, but you will also have someone there with you to hold the ladder and help with things you may have dropped.
Keeping the power running in your home starts when you count on the team at Mister Sparky. Contact us today to learn more about our team. A Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician from our business is standing by to help you with your electrical needs.
Is there dirt and crud on your electrical outlets or light switches? Here is some advice to help you clean them:
- Turn Off the Power – Whether you are working on a light switch or an electrical socket, it is a wise idea to turn the power off before you start cleaning. If you leave the power on, you run the risk of getting cleaner into the outlet and causing damage to your home electrical system. Furthermore, it is vital that you never clean directly within the outlet.
- Do Not Spray Cleaner Directly on Your Switch or Outlet – When you are using a household cleaner on your switches or outlets, you should never spray your cleaner directly on it. It is too hard to control the spray accurately. Instead, spray your cleaner onto a paper towel and then use that to clean the outlet or switch.
- Let It Dry – Once you have cleaned it, you can dry everything off with a clean paper towel and let it sit for a while to make sure that there is no residue left on your outlet. Once you are confident that it has completely dried, you can turn the power back on.
Do you need to replace an outlet or light switch in your home? The team at Mister Sparky is ready to assist you. Our team is prepared to help you when you are seeking assistance with your Jacksonville or home. You can hire us when you need an electrician in Orange Park, FL.
Many homeowners in Jacksonville were victims of flooding after Hurricane Irma and are still working on cleaning up their homes – even a month later! When you have to deal with flooding, it is essential to know how this devastating problem can affect your property.
- Get an Inspection from an Electrician – When your home floods, you have to deal with a wide array of issues, including damage to your electrical system. Before you turn the electricity back on, it is crucial that you have a licensed professional come to your home to inspect the electrical system.
- Wire Replacements – More often than not, the wiring in your home will need to be replaced. Flooding causes wire corrosion and failure issues, so you should assume that you will need to replace any wiring that was below the water line.
- Don’t Turn On Your Appliances – Not only does flooding damage the wiring in your home, but it will also affect your appliances. Appliances with insulation that get wet will have to be replaced, as the damp insulation itself cannot be replaced. Make sure you let all of your appliances dry for at least a week before turning them on.
Receive the assistance you need after a flood when you work contact the team at Mister Sparky. Our Jacksonville electrical contractors can assist you with your damaged electrical system, as well as help with a variety of additional electrical services.
If you are like many of the people throughout the Jacksonville area, you lost electricity during the most recent hurricane. Here are some tips to help you prepare for the next outage:
- Keep Your Refrigerator and Freezer Closed – Make sure you keep your refrigerator and freezer closed as long as possible. The food in your freezer will last for as long 48 hours when it is packed, while the food in your refrigerator will be safe for consumption for up to 4 hours.
- Get a Generator Early – The worst time to purchase a power generator is just a few days before a massive storm is about to hit. Before hurricane season starts, you should invest in a generator. Our business is proud to offer selections that can be integrated into your home, which help to keep you comfortable at all times.
- Turn Off Important Electronics – When the electricity goes off, its eventual return can cause a power surge that will kill your TV, computer, and even larger items like your air conditioner. You should turn on at least one light that you will need to see to allow you to check that the power is restored correctly.
The dedicated crew at Mister Sparky is available to help you repair your home after an outage. Contact us today to have a Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician come to your home.
Bringing a pet into the home is similar to bringing a child into the home – it’s important to make sure it’s safe! Here are some tips for people who are preparing to welcome a new dog or cat:
- Remove and Cover Cords – Puppies and kittens love to chew on things and get into all kinds of mischief. Electrical cords lying around the home may be one of those things. Before you bring a new puppy or kitten home, you should cover any exposed cords and make sure you get extension cords out of the way.
- Repair Broken Outlets – New pets are very curious. You should expect them to get into everything. Broken outlets in your home can put the safety of your animals at risk. We recommend fixing any broken outlets before bringing a new pup or kitty home to avoid any injuries.
- Update Wiring – If your wiring is not working properly in your home, that’s a problem for everyone – including your pets. Your cat or dog would be in danger if a faulty wire starts a fire while you’re not home. Make sure that your wiring is up to code as soon as possible when bringing a pet into the home.
Keeping your home safe is important for all of your family members, including the furry ones! Contact the Jacksonville electrical contractors at Mister Sparky when you need electrical repairs and more.