Many homeowners in Jacksonville were victims of flooding after Hurricane Irma and are still working on cleaning up their homes – even a month later! When you have to deal with flooding, it is essential to know how this devastating problem can affect your property.
- Get an Inspection from an Electrician – When your home floods, you have to deal with a wide array of issues, including damage to your electrical system. Before you turn the electricity back on, it is crucial that you have a licensed professional come to your home to inspect the electrical system.
- Wire Replacements – More often than not, the wiring in your home will need to be replaced. Flooding causes wire corrosion and failure issues, so you should assume that you will need to replace any wiring that was below the water line.
- Don’t Turn On Your Appliances – Not only does flooding damage the wiring in your home, but it will also affect your appliances. Appliances with insulation that get wet will have to be replaced, as the damp insulation itself cannot be replaced. Make sure you let all of your appliances dry for at least a week before turning them on.
Receive the assistance you need after a flood when you work contact the team at Mister Sparky. Our Jacksonville electrical contractors can assist you with your damaged electrical system, as well as help with a variety of additional electrical services.
If you are like many of the people throughout the Jacksonville area, you lost electricity during the most recent hurricane. Here are some tips to help you prepare for the next outage:
- Keep Your Refrigerator and Freezer Closed – Make sure you keep your refrigerator and freezer closed as long as possible. The food in your freezer will last for as long 48 hours when it is packed, while the food in your refrigerator will be safe for consumption for up to 4 hours.
- Get a Generator Early – The worst time to purchase a power generator is just a few days before a massive storm is about to hit. Before hurricane season starts, you should invest in a generator. Our business is proud to offer selections that can be integrated into your home, which help to keep you comfortable at all times.
- Turn Off Important Electronics – When the electricity goes off, its eventual return can cause a power surge that will kill your TV, computer, and even larger items like your air conditioner. You should turn on at least one light that you will need to see to allow you to check that the power is restored correctly.
The dedicated crew at Mister Sparky is available to help you repair your home after an outage. Contact us today to have a Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician come to your home.
Bringing a pet into the home is similar to bringing a child into the home – it’s important to make sure it’s safe! Here are some tips for people who are preparing to welcome a new dog or cat:
- Remove and Cover Cords – Puppies and kittens love to chew on things and get into all kinds of mischief. Electrical cords lying around the home may be one of those things. Before you bring a new puppy or kitten home, you should cover any exposed cords and make sure you get extension cords out of the way.
- Repair Broken Outlets – New pets are very curious. You should expect them to get into everything. Broken outlets in your home can put the safety of your animals at risk. We recommend fixing any broken outlets before bringing a new pup or kitty home to avoid any injuries.
- Update Wiring – If your wiring is not working properly in your home, that’s a problem for everyone – including your pets. Your cat or dog would be in danger if a faulty wire starts a fire while you’re not home. Make sure that your wiring is up to code as soon as possible when bringing a pet into the home.
Keeping your home safe is important for all of your family members, including the furry ones! Contact the Jacksonville electrical contractors at Mister Sparky when you need electrical repairs and more.
As big storms start showing up in the news again, it’s important that you are prepared for any issue that you may have to face. Here are some tips for you to prepare for a hurricane in the Jacksonville area:
- Invest in a Generator – Losing your electricity is always frustrating. Whether you live on a grid that is known for shutting down or need power for your work from home job, having a generator installed ahead of the storm is a wise investment. With a generator, you won’t have to worry about losing any power as the storm shuts down the power in surrounding homes.
- Prepare for an Evacuation – Do you have an evacuation plan? Whether you are dealing with an extended power outage in your area or potential flood waters, it’s vital that you have a plan, and a backup plan or two, in place.
- Unplug Valuable Electrical Items – Your TV, sound system, computers, and any other electrical items should be unplugged when a storm hits. When these items are plugged in, there is a possibility that harmful power fluctuations could damage them.
Contact us today to have a Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician come to your home to assist you a generator or any other electrical issues.
Whether you are planning on selling your home in the near future or are interested in making sure your property is safe for you and your family, it’s important to stay concerned with electrical safety inspections. You should be mindful of the following:
Home Age – Homes that are more than 40 years old frequently do not pass electrical safety inspections. From overcrowded wiring to electrical paneling, it is vital that you stay on top of anything that may cause a problem. You should also be concerned with electrical sockets that have not been upgraded in years and kitchen circuitry.
Lighting – Is your lighting installed correctly? You should go through all of your lighting fixtures to make sure that everything is working properly. Additionally, it’s a wise idea to upgrade your lighting so that everything is controlled by a simple switch on the wall, as opposed to lights that function with a pull chain hanging from the ceiling.
Kitchen Appliances – When it comes to the appliances in your kitchen, the refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, and the microwave should all have a dedicated circuit. You frequently need to use all of these items at the same time, so having dedicated circuits means avoiding the risk of overloading your system.
Having your home inspected starts with a Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra electrician from Mister Sparky. Our team has the skills necessary to find problems, as well as fix them for you!
Is your electrical system working properly? If you are not sure, here are some signs you may need help from a professional electrician:
- Plugs Fall Out of the Socket – When you plug something into the wall, are your plugs falling right out? You may need to invest in new electrical outlets. A socket that can’t properly grip the prongs on a plug means that the contacts are loose. If you let this go, then it’s a possibility that these contacts can cause arching which can cause a fire.
- Bulbs Burn Out Fast – There are a wide array of reasons why a bulb may be burning out quickly in your home – you may have high voltage running through your home, the light bulb may not be plugged in correctly and arching is occurring, or your lights may be running too hot. You can hire a specialist to come and look at your lighting to provide you with more information.
- Buzzing Outlets – Do you hear a sound coming from your electrical outlets? If the answer is yes, then you have a problem. Your electrical outlets are never supposed to make a sound. There could be loose wiring or arching in the plug.
Make upgrades in your home with help from the Jacksonville electrical contractors at Mister Sparky. Our team is available to come to your location and provide you with efficient electrical repair services.
Finding someone to provide you with dependable electrical inspection services starts with a call to Mister Sparky. Our team checks for a wide array of issues, including the following:
Exterior Lighting and Outlets – You know that things can get pretty wet in Jacksonville, so it’s important to check out all of the outdoor lighting and outlets to make sure that they are in working order. If the lights are flickering often or the outlets are warm, you may have some big problems that should be taken care of as soon as possible.
Wiring – Making sure that the wiring in your home is up to date is vital. It doesn’t matter if your home was built before the 1950s or you are just doing an update to your property, we need to check for old wiring that may create safety hazards for you and your family.
Electrical Panels – Did you know that you’re not supposed to use certain electrical panels in your home anymore? It’s true. A good electrician doing an inspection on your home will make sure that your panel is up to date, as well as check to see if the panel is made to sufficiently power your entire home.
When you hire the Jacksonville electrical contractors from Mister Sparky to work on your home, you can rest assured that you are hiring talented and experienced electricians who only use advanced tools and proven methods to inspect your property. Contact us to learn more about our services today!
Whether there is a blackout or you are having a problem with your home wiring, it is vital that you prepare for power loss. Here are some tips to help you prep:
Keep Lighting and Batteries on Hand – Do you know where the flashlights are located in your home? How about all of your batteries? Instead of scrambling around in the dark, you should have a handful of emergency flashlights and spare batteries on hand in one place so you can find them at a moment’s notice. You should avoid candles, as they are a fire hazard.
Invest in Non-Perishable Food and Water – Hurricane season is in full swing, which means you should be ready for the electricity to go out at any moment. Keeping cans of non-perishable food and at least one gallon of water on hand is a smart move.
Invest in a Generator – Having a generator on hand before the storm season starts is an excellent investment. You can select a small generator that will power a handful of small electronics or you can select full house generator and have the team at Mister Sparky install it!
Sitting in a house with not power during the summer is a deal breaker. You can count on a Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra electrician at Mister Sparky to come to your home and provide you with a wide array of general electrical services, including wiring, generator installations, and surge protection assistance.
Extension cords are handy and helpful. With them, you can plug in all of your appliances and complete a job on the lawn with ease. Here are some handy safety tips to follow when using extension cords:
- Use a Short Cord – When you use an extension cord, you want to make sure that you are using the shortest possible cord for the job. If a cord is too long, the delivered voltage is lowered. Lowered voltage means that your appliances will not receive the power needed to run safely and efficiently.
- Don’t Use One Cord for Multiple Electronics – Are you plugging in numerous appliances and electronics into one cord? You should stop immediately! Having too many items plugged in can damage both the cord and the items that are plugged in.
- Use Cords the Right Way – If you have to use cords the wrong way, you are putting yourself and your family at risk. This means you should avoid things like cutting off that third prong to fit the cord into a two-slot plug, using a cord as a permanent replacement for an extension cord, or running an extension cord through the ceiling, floor, or walls.
The team at Mister Sparky is here to assist you with your electrical needs. We can install new electrical outlets in your home, and help you with lighting, wiring, and ceiling fans. Call us at (904) 802-0579 to have a Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician come to your home.
It’s important to have the best homeowner’s insurance to protect your investment and family. There are many issues that insurance companies take into account when writing a policy for your home. One of the things they look at is the home’s electrical system – specifically the electrical panel. This panel is the control center of your home’s electrical system and there are certain panels that insurance companies just won’t cover.
Federal Pacific Electrical Company panels are one of the biggest offenders. These panels were one of the most commonly used panels in US homes throughout the 1950s and into the 1980s, but eventually electricians and home inspectors discovered that these panels did not provide the proper protection. With just one short circuit or overcurrent, FPE panels will start to overheat and can quickly become a serious fire hazard.
Zinsco panels have also been shown to cause similar problems. Like FPE panels, Zinsco panels were once commonly used; however, as the electrical needs of today’s homeowners increased, these panels were no longer able to handle the heavy load.
If you’ve got either of these once status quo panels in your home, upgrading to a current panel as soon as possible is crucial to your safety and our team of Jacksonville electrical contractors is ready to help you make the switch.
Whether you are buying a new home or just getting a new insurance policy, it’s always important to make sure that your electrical panel is up to date. Contact us today to learn more about upgrading your panel.