Light switches are built to last. Many switches will last for decades. Sooner or later, they will start to fail. Here are some of the signs that you need to replace your light switches:
- Hot Switches – Have you noticed that your light switch or panel is feeling hot to the touch? There may be a problem with your switch. It is normal for the switch to be a little warm, but if it is hot to the touch, then this is the sign of a severe electrical problem and could cause a fire.
- Electricity Delay – When you turn on the switch, pay attention to the lights. If you notice that there is a delay between the moment that you flip the lights on and the light turning on, then the electrical contacts in the panel are no longer working properly. You should replace the switch soon, as it will eventually stop working.
- Strange Sounds – An unusual sound, such as popping, hissing, or crackling, is a sign that live electricity is arching within the switch. This is a big deal and can cause a fire if not handled properly. Call an electrician to help you right away when you notice these sounds.
The team at Mister Sparky is ready to help you with your home. You can hire an electrician in Orange Park, FL, from our business to come to your location and help you with light switches, electrical outlets, and other electrical issues in your home. Contact us today and see why people all over the area love working with the team at our business.
Have you had a problem with flickering lights in your home? Take a look at some of the issues that may be the source of your difficulties:
- Lightbulb Problems – If you notice the lights flickering in your home, you should take a look at the lightbulb. It is possible that the bulb is not screwed in all the way. Additionally, the light bulb may be burning out or faulty. Try replacing the bulb. If it works just fine, then that was your problem.
- Power Surges – A power surge in your home is one of the many reasons your light may be flickering. Do you notice that lights flicker every time the AC unit kicks on? If the answer is yes, then this is an everyday surge and not a safety concern. You want to be concerned with the light having problems when no additional appliances start.
- Wiring – The wiring in your home may also be the source of the problem. If it is happening on an overhead light, then it is likely that one of the wires is loose or damaged. In these cases, you will have to contact a professional to assist you with your issue.
Make sure that all of your lighting and the rest of your electrical system are working correctly when you work with the team at Mister Sparky. We offer a wide variety of services, helping you when you need repair services or an electrical inspection in Jacksonville.
Are you dealing with electrical problems in your home? Here are a few emergency issues where calling a specialist to assist you is vital:
- Power Randomly Cutting Out – Have you noticed that the power in your home seems to drop out frequently at random points in the day? If your lights are cutting out when you turn on the microwave or you are dealing with frequent circuit breaker problems, this may be a sign that the wiring in your system no longer works correctly. Additionally, there may be a problem with your electrical panel.
- Rust or Moisture – The moment you notice rust or moisture around your circuit panel or any other part of your electrical system is the moment you should be calling an electrician to help you. Moisture and rust is a significant safety hazard and may lead to fires or someone getting shocked in your home.
- Sparking Outlets – Sparks coming out of your outlet is a huge deal. A stray spark can fly out and start a fire in your home. You should turn off the circuit and contact a specialist to help you. The sparking can be caused by a wide array of issues, such as water damage, home repairs, or too much heat buildup.
Contact the Jacksonville electrical contractors at Mister Sparky for more information about our emergency services. We are ready to make your home safe.
When you are dealing with an electrical emergency, the last thing you need is someone on the phone telling you that a specialist will not be able to make it out to your location until tomorrow. Instead of waiting around with no electricity, you can contact the dedicated team at Mister Sparky to help you. Whether you live in Jax Beach or are out in Orange Park, our electricians are available to provide you with 24/7 emergency same-day services.
Our business owners are based in Jacksonville and always looking out for your needs. We know that there are many other electricians out there who do not have the skills or workforce to handle your problems, so our business always makes sure that we have plenty of skilled specialists available to help you with your problem. We use state-of-the-art equipment and are up to date on the latest electrical updates to ensure that we can take care of your problem in a fast and efficient manner.
It does not matter if you are dealing with a small emergency or need help with more significant repairs, we are happy to send out one of our electrical contractors in Orange Park, FL, as well as the surrounding areas. You can call us today at (904) 802-0579 to request assistance and make an appointment for our services.
Pools and spas are a lot of fun, but they can be shockingly dangerous when you do not pay attention to the details relating to electricity. Here are some electrical safety tips for Florida homeowners:
- Electrical Device and Outlet Location – It is essential that all devices and outlets are located at least six feet away from the walls of your pool or spa. These outlets should also be GFCI-protected and covered when not in use to ensure that no one accidentally shocks themselves.
- Bringing Devices Near the Pool – It does not matter how confident you are with an electrical device, if it is plugged in, you should never bring it near the pool. This means your stereo systems, Bluetooth speakers, and other electrical items you may use while outdoors is kept near the house. Additionally, you should not bring your cell phone near the pool. You may break it!
- Be Mindful of Powerlines – Are you putting in a new pool or spa? It is vital that you do not install it near power lines. In fact, you should ensure that all power lines are at least 25 feet away from the pool. Furthermore, keep any long power tools away from the power lines at all times.
Install new outdoor outlets or receive assistance with specialty wiring when you hire electrical contractors in Orange Park, FL, from Mister Sparky. We are happy to come and help you update your property for the summer!
When the power goes out during a storm, it is crucial that you are prepared for the lights to be out for the long haul. Here are some tips to keep in mind if your power goes out:
- Have a Plan – Everyone who went through Hurricane Irma knows that it is important that you have a backup plan because your electricity may be out for many days. Contact family and friends outside of the area and see if you can stay with them. If not, make sure you invest in candles, flashlights, or gas lamps so you can keep the lights on.
- Unplug Your Electronics – When your power comes back on, there will be a power surge that could cause damage to your expensive electronics. Unplug computers, televisions, and game consoles, as well as turn off your AC to ensure that everything will work when the power comes back on.
- Eat Your Refrigerated Food First – If you know the power will be out for a while, you may want to consider eating any food in the refrigerator before it goes bad. You should eat dairy items first and go for anything in the freezer if the power has not come back on yet.
Count on the Jacksonville electrical contractors at Mister Sparky when you need assistance with your electrical system. If the power is back on and you are having problems with your system, you can count on our specialists to help you get everything working properly again.
Making home upgrades is a wise move for any homeowner. Electrical upgrades can make your home safer and even increase your property value. Take a look at these excellent recommendations:
- Install New Lighting – When was the last time you added new lighting to your home? If you have been living in your current house for more than a decade, new lighting is a smart investment. Our team is available to provide you with high-end recessed lighting that will look magnificent in your living room or kitchen.
- Update Your Electrical Panel – If you live in an older home and are regularly dealing with flickering lights, you should consider having us install a new electrical panel. There are many panels out there that have been recalled over the years, including Zisco and Federal Pacific panels. If you notice one of these panels in your home, you should make the upgrade as soon as possible.
- Add New Electrical Outlets – Every home could use a few extra electrical outlets. It may seem like an easy thing to do on your own, but an electrician in Orange Park, FL, from our business can come in and perform the additions safely and efficiently.
Call us today at (904) 802-0579 for more information about our services. Our courteous and friendly electricians are proud to service Jacksonville, Orange Park, Ponte Vedra, and other locations throughout the community.
Hurricane season has returned and it is time to prepare for any emergency. Here are a few handy tips for any homeowner:
- Remember to Grab Batteries – Hurricane season has just begun, so you should start grabbing batteries today. Keep an eye out for BOGO deals at your local grocery and drug stores, as well as at new IKEA – they have cheap packs of batteries at a price that will not break the bank.
- Unplug Valuable Appliances – When the power goes out, you should unplug your valuable electronics and appliances. The return of electricity could cause a surge that may damage these items. Furthermore, ensure that your AC unit is off. You do not want to discover that your AC no longer works because a power surge fried the outside unit.
- Prepare for Flooding – Do you frequently have problems with flooding during hurricanes? You should make sure you are prepared now before the issue becomes a problem. Unplug anything that may be affected by water and switch off your main power before the flooding gets bad to ensure it does not come back on while it is still wet.
You can trust the electrical contractors in Jacksonville, FL, at Mister Sparky when you need assistance preparing for hurricanes or taking care of electrical issues in your home.
There are many upgrades you should be making on your home. You may not think it is necessary, but investing in outdoor electrical outlets for your older home is a wise investment. With new outlets, you will be able to get lawn work done outdoors, as well as enjoy your backyard without having to worry about investing in a ton of extension cords.
Many older homes in Jacksonville and the surrounding areas do not have an electrical outlet installed on the exterior. This may have made sense in the 1940s when outlets were not as dependable, but many of today’s modern lawn care devices require an outlet to run. When you hire a professional electrician to install outlets, it is essential to know that they will have to cut into the exterior of your home to make the installation. Before they arrive, take a look at your exterior so you can let them know where the outlets will work best for your needs. The electrician will be installing special outdoor outlets that feature a ground fault circuit interrupter, as well as watertight covers to protect the outlet from dirt, rain, and other debris.
Count on the electrical contractors in Jacksonville, FL, at Mister Sparky to help you with your electrical outlet needs. Our team is ready to help you with outlet installations, as well as a wide array of additional electrical installation and repair services.
Summer is here and we will be spending more time in the sun! Here are some handy tips to follow before you start using electrical items outdoors:
- Monitor the Weather – As a Floridian, you know that it can rain for an hour and then stay sunny for the rest of the day. Before you start using electronic appliances outdoors, you should check your forecast. If high winds are coming, then you might want to avoid using something that could fall over, such as an electric grill.
- Use Outdoor Extension Cords – Before you invest in a new extension cord for outdoor use, check to see if it is rated for outdoor use. Outdoor cords should be marked with a “W” on the packaging, while light-duty indoor cords are marked with an “S.” Using an indoor extension cord puts you at risk for electrical shock.
- Watch Where You Run Your Cords – Make sure that you keep all of your electrical cords out of walkways and doorways. You do not want to trip over any wires and cause harm to your family members. Additionally, you should make sure that you move any cords once you are done with using your appliances.
Call a Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician from Mister Sparky when you need assistance with outdoor electrical needs this summer. Our dedicated crew of specialists is happy to come to your location and make sure your home is ready for outdoor fun!