Summer is here and we will be spending more time in the sun! Here are some handy tips to follow before you start using electrical items outdoors:
- Monitor the Weather – As a Floridian, you know that it can rain for an hour and then stay sunny for the rest of the day. Before you start using electronic appliances outdoors, you should check your forecast. If high winds are coming, then you might want to avoid using something that could fall over, such as an electric grill.
- Use Outdoor Extension Cords – Before you invest in a new extension cord for outdoor use, check to see if it is rated for outdoor use. Outdoor cords should be marked with a “W” on the packaging, while light-duty indoor cords are marked with an “S.” Using an indoor extension cord puts you at risk for electrical shock.
- Watch Where You Run Your Cords – Make sure that you keep all of your electrical cords out of walkways and doorways. You do not want to trip over any wires and cause harm to your family members. Additionally, you should make sure that you move any cords once you are done with using your appliances.
Call a Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician from Mister Sparky when you need assistance with outdoor electrical needs this summer. Our dedicated crew of specialists is happy to come to your location and make sure your home is ready for outdoor fun!
Your bedroom is the place where you rest, so you should do everything you can to make it comfortable. With just a few extra electrical outlets, you can make definite improvements. Here are some reasons why you should invest in new outlets:
- Have a Place to Charge Your Phone – Do you have a good place near your bed to charge your phone? If you are the type of person who likes to flick through social media before going to bed, you should consider investing in a new outlet that features USB outlets. You can put this outlet in any convenient location, including near your nightstand or behind your bed.
- Update Your Older Outlets – If you have old two-prong outlets in your bedroom, you need to make the upgrade as soon as possible. These older outlets can be a fire hazard. You should upgrade any two-prong outlets, as well as make sure that all other outlets are updated while you are at it.
- Build a Bedroom Entertainment Center – Lying down in your bed and enjoying a movie or your favorite TV show is an unparalleled experience. If you do not have enough power outlets to run a TV and a streaming device or Blu-ray player, you can have our team help you.
Count on the team at Mister Sparky when you need electrical repairs and updates in the Jacksonville area. Whether you need a Ponte Vedra electrician or are seeking assistance in Orange Park, our talented crew is here to help you.
Christmas time is right around the corner, which means it is time to start hanging your Christmas lights. Before you start decorating this year, consider the following tips:
- Upgrade Your Lights – When was the last time you invested in new lights for your home? Before you hang lights on your home, take a look at the selections you have and consider making an upgrade. We also recommend getting rid of broken light strings or any lights that you have been using longer than a decade.
- Use Proper Extension Cords – While getting your lighting together, you should take a look at the extension cords you have on hand. You should always make sure you are using outdoor cords only. If you are not sure about your extension cords, you can find new ones at your area hardware store.
- Work with a Friend or Family Member – Christmas is about spending time with the people you love, so why not decorate the exterior of your home with their help? Not only will you be making memories, but you will also have someone there with you to hold the ladder and help with things you may have dropped.
Keeping the power running in your home starts when you count on the team at Mister Sparky. Contact us today to learn more about our team. A Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician from our business is standing by to help you with your electrical needs.
If you are like many of the people throughout the Jacksonville area, you lost electricity during the most recent hurricane. Here are some tips to help you prepare for the next outage:
- Keep Your Refrigerator and Freezer Closed – Make sure you keep your refrigerator and freezer closed as long as possible. The food in your freezer will last for as long 48 hours when it is packed, while the food in your refrigerator will be safe for consumption for up to 4 hours.
- Get a Generator Early – The worst time to purchase a power generator is just a few days before a massive storm is about to hit. Before hurricane season starts, you should invest in a generator. Our business is proud to offer selections that can be integrated into your home, which help to keep you comfortable at all times.
- Turn Off Important Electronics – When the electricity goes off, its eventual return can cause a power surge that will kill your TV, computer, and even larger items like your air conditioner. You should turn on at least one light that you will need to see to allow you to check that the power is restored correctly.
The dedicated crew at Mister Sparky is available to help you repair your home after an outage. Contact us today to have a Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician come to your home.
As big storms start showing up in the news again, it’s important that you are prepared for any issue that you may have to face. Here are some tips for you to prepare for a hurricane in the Jacksonville area:
- Invest in a Generator – Losing your electricity is always frustrating. Whether you live on a grid that is known for shutting down or need power for your work from home job, having a generator installed ahead of the storm is a wise investment. With a generator, you won’t have to worry about losing any power as the storm shuts down the power in surrounding homes.
- Prepare for an Evacuation – Do you have an evacuation plan? Whether you are dealing with an extended power outage in your area or potential flood waters, it’s vital that you have a plan, and a backup plan or two, in place.
- Unplug Valuable Electrical Items – Your TV, sound system, computers, and any other electrical items should be unplugged when a storm hits. When these items are plugged in, there is a possibility that harmful power fluctuations could damage them.
Contact us today to have a Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician come to your home to assist you a generator or any other electrical issues.
Whether you are planning on selling your home in the near future or are interested in making sure your property is safe for you and your family, it’s important to stay concerned with electrical safety inspections. You should be mindful of the following:
Home Age – Homes that are more than 40 years old frequently do not pass electrical safety inspections. From overcrowded wiring to electrical paneling, it is vital that you stay on top of anything that may cause a problem. You should also be concerned with electrical sockets that have not been upgraded in years and kitchen circuitry.
Lighting – Is your lighting installed correctly? You should go through all of your lighting fixtures to make sure that everything is working properly. Additionally, it’s a wise idea to upgrade your lighting so that everything is controlled by a simple switch on the wall, as opposed to lights that function with a pull chain hanging from the ceiling.
Kitchen Appliances – When it comes to the appliances in your kitchen, the refrigerator, oven, dishwasher, and the microwave should all have a dedicated circuit. You frequently need to use all of these items at the same time, so having dedicated circuits means avoiding the risk of overloading your system.
Having your home inspected starts with a Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra electrician from Mister Sparky. Our team has the skills necessary to find problems, as well as fix them for you!
Extension cords are handy and helpful. With them, you can plug in all of your appliances and complete a job on the lawn with ease. Here are some handy safety tips to follow when using extension cords:
- Use a Short Cord – When you use an extension cord, you want to make sure that you are using the shortest possible cord for the job. If a cord is too long, the delivered voltage is lowered. Lowered voltage means that your appliances will not receive the power needed to run safely and efficiently.
- Don’t Use One Cord for Multiple Electronics – Are you plugging in numerous appliances and electronics into one cord? You should stop immediately! Having too many items plugged in can damage both the cord and the items that are plugged in.
- Use Cords the Right Way – If you have to use cords the wrong way, you are putting yourself and your family at risk. This means you should avoid things like cutting off that third prong to fit the cord into a two-slot plug, using a cord as a permanent replacement for an extension cord, or running an extension cord through the ceiling, floor, or walls.
The team at Mister Sparky is here to assist you with your electrical needs. We can install new electrical outlets in your home, and help you with lighting, wiring, and ceiling fans. Call us at (904) 802-0579 to have a Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician come to your home.
Making your home look unique and sophisticated is simple when you add recessed lighting. Take a look at these advantages and consider making an upgrade:
- Creates Space – When you use recessed lighting, you create the illusion of having more space in your home. Recessed lighting gives off a subtle glow, which helps blur the edges of the room to make it appear larger than it actually is. This is a good tip for people who want to make a smaller room look bigger but don’t have money or space for an actual expansion.
- Highlights Design Elements – Do you have a book collection you want to highlight or a beautiful work of art that you want everyone to notice the moment they step into the room? You can use recessed lighting to cast light on these or any other décor in your home.
- Upgrade Your Home – Whether you are trying to sell your property or just giving your home a makeover, recessed lighting can help make your home look new! These lights will add new character to your home that you wouldn’t see with standard lighting hanging down from the ceiling.
The professionals at Mister Sparky are standing by to assist you with custom recessed lighting installations in your home. Call us today at (904) 802-0579 to hire a Jacksonville or Ponte Vedra electrician!
Doing work on your own home is very satisfactory, but some tasks are best left to the experts. Electrical repairs are definitely on that list of tasks. When you hire an electrician, you can avoid the following problems:
- Electrocution – Many of us have experienced a small electrical shock. It’s not pleasant. When you hire an electrician, you can avoid the risks of getting a small or large shock that could come with working on your own home. Electrical shocks can cause a wide array of problems, including seizures and heart attacks, as well as death.
- Fires – If you don’t properly install your electrical items, you run the risk of causing a fire. A fire can destroy your property and – even worse – harm your family members. Have the peace of mind you need to sleep at night by hiring an electrician.
- Making the Problem Worse – Many people who try their hand at electrical repairs end up making the problem worse. You’ll have to hire an electrician anyway, so why not avoid the costly repairs and call in a professional from the start.
Save money and more when you hire an electrician from Mister Sparky. Whether you are seeking a Ponte Vedra electrician or dependable assistance west of the Intracoastal Waterway, our business is here to help you!
New Year’s Day has come and gone, which means it’s time to make some smart resolutions. Whether you are a homeowner who is concerned with the environment or are just a regular joe looking for ways to keep your electric bill down, the new year is a great time to reduce your energy spending. Take a look at these ideas:
Keep It Cool – Floridians are sensitive to those colder days. It may be tempting to crank up that thermostat on those colder days, but putting on a sweater or socks is often just as good. You can make things cozy at home by investing in a big throw blanket and sitting on the couch watching movies with your family on those particularly chilly days.
Heater Efficiency – Did you test your heater before turning it on for long-term usage this year? If not, it doesn’t hurt to have an HVAC specialist take a look at it and make sure that your system is running properly. You are likely due for maintenance after those hot days.
Check Your Windows – Making sure that your windows are properly insulated can change the way you run the heater or AC in your home. If your windows feel drafty, invest in some weatherproofing to stop the blowing! This also stops cool air from escaping your home during the summer.
Do you need help with your electrical system? Whether you need a Riverside, Arlington, or Ponte Vedre electrician, our team is available to assist you in the Jacksonville area today.