Electrical outlets may spark from time to time. Many times, you will notice a small blue spark that will come and go quickly – this is normal, but there are some bad sparks. If you see long sparks, big sparks that leap out of the sockets, or sparks that are followed by the smell of smoke, you might be having one of the following issues:
- Old Outlets – Outlets do not last forever. Standard use will cause the contact points in your outlets to wear out. In extreme cases of wear, significant electrical arcing can occur. It is essential that you be mindful of this potential issue if you have moved into an older home.
- Short Circuit Issues – When an outlet’s hot wire comes in contact with the neutral or ground wire, a short circuit can occur. The outlet will start to draw in an excessive current, which will cause sparking and heat, eventually causing a fire.
- Moisture – Sparking may be related to a moisture issue. If you happened to splash some water on the outlet, it should be dried out before you use it again. On the other hand, there could be a leak in your wall that may be a sign of more significant problems.
When you are having problems with your outlets, you can contact our electrical contractors in Jacksonville, FL. The team at Mister Sparky provides repair services, as well as new outlet installations.