Step into the warmer seasons with electrical safety tips from Mister Sparky. The cooler days have left us, which means it’s time to start enjoying our outdoor areas again! We have put together some great tips to help you stay safe when using electronics outdoors:
- Be Safe Around the Pool – As you know, water and electricity do not mix. If you have outlets near your pool, you should ensure that they are equipped with ground fault circuit interrupters. These breakers are made to shut off electrical power in less than a second. Additionally, it would help if you considered having moisture covers installed on your outlets.
- Stay Safe with Extension Cords – If you need an extension cord to power your outdoor jams or television, there are a few rules you should follow. Make sure you have a cord that is made to be used outdoors, ensure that it can power the item you are plugging in, and always put it away after you are done using it.
- Clean Regularly – Do you still have piles of dry leaves and lawn debris around that you haven’t cleaned up the year? This debris could be hazardous. Take some time to sweep up any debris around your outdoor outlets and stay vigilant throughout the season.
Count on the specialists at Mister Sparky to provide you with a vast array of services. We are proud to feature talented Jacksonville and Orange Park electricians that always work hard to take care of our customers. Call us at (904) 802-0579 to meet with our specialists today.
The last few cold days of the year are behind us, which means it is time to turn on your ceiling fans. The team at Mister Sparky is available to provide you with ceiling fan installation services. With our help, you can rest assured that every room in your home will feel comfortable at all times.
A ceiling fan may not actually lower the temperature in a room, but it will make it feel like it’s at least three degrees cooler than it is. A smart homeowner can take advantage of this feeling. You can install ceiling fans in your home and then set your AC a couple of degrees higher than usual. Using this method, you can save as much as 40% on your energy bill.
In addition to saving you money, adding a ceiling fan can be a wise aesthetic choice for homeowners that want to add some new styles to their home. You can pick a fan in a primary color that matches the walls in the room, or you can choose something fancy that will look impressive whether it is on or off.
Call our specialists at (904) 802-0579 for more information about installing a new fan in your home. Whether you need help from an electrician in Orange Park, FL, or are seeking assistance in Jacksonville, we are happy to provide you with unparalleled services.
Water and electricity is a dangerous combo, which in turn makes your bathroom a dangerous place for people using electrical devices. We have put together a few tips to help you keep things safe in your bathroom:
- Be Mindful of Your Outlets – All outlets in your bathroom should be located in a place that is away from the shower or your sink. When they are placed too close to water sources, you or a member of your family could accidentally be shocked while using the facilities.
- Invest in Recessed Lighting – You should avoid any unnecessary wiring in your home, such as the wiring that comes along with any fancy lighting. When you choose recessed lighting, you are keeping fixtures away from all of the moisture that can accrue while someone is taking a particularly hot shower.
- Use Outlets with Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters – Using any outlet in the bathroom is dangerous, so installing a ground fault circuit interrupter outlet can make things safer. In the event of improper grounding, this addition will automatically shut down the power, stopping you from getting shocked.
Hire an electrician in Orange Park, FL, from Mister Sparky when you want to improve the safety in your bathroom. From installing new outlets to doing inspections, you can trust our electricians to update and upgrade this vital room.
One of the most overlooked safety devices in any home is the smoke detector. It is crucial that you keep up with your detectors, installing new ones when necessary. Here are a few reasons why you should have them replaced:
- Moved to a New Home – Once you have moved into a new home, you need to take a look at your smoke detectors to see if they work correctly. If you discover that these detectors are broken or just older models that have not been wired to your system, you should consider getting them replaced.
- Not Enough Detectors – As a homeowner, you should have a detector installed outside of each bedroom. When you have hard-wired detectors near each bed, you can literally rest assured that your detectors will wake up everyone if there is a fire in the middle of the night. Additionally, a unit should be installed on every floor of your home.
- Ten Years Have Passed Since Your Last Update – If it has been a decade since you last replaced your smoke detectors, you should consider installing new ones in your home. Over the years, dust can collect in smoke detectors, making them less efficient. New units ensure that everything is working properly at all times.
The dedicated specialists at Mister Sparky are prepared to assist you when you are interested in smoke detector replacement in Jacksonville. With our help, you can be confident that your home and family members will be safe in the event of a fire.
Putting your home on the market can be stressful, as there are many parts of your property you must improve before starting the process. Check out these ways to improve your property value with electrical repairs and investments:
- Invest in Energy-Efficient Lighting – Whether you put in new LED lighting or are interested in selecting new fixtures that include motion sensors, energy-efficient lighting is a great way to increase your home value. By just replacing the lights that are most noticeable by potential buyers, you can improve your property value, as well as save money on your electric bill.
- Update Your Appliances – If you have bought a home, you know the feeling of walking into a house, only to discover that the appliances have not been updated in more than 50 years. You can replace your existing old appliances with new and efficient selections that will impress your potential buyers.
- Take Care of Wiring and Panels – Before you put your home on the market, you should have a professional take a look at the wiring and panels in your home. They can discover potential issues that a buyer may find on the initial inspection and fix it for you so it won’t become a bargaining chip in the closing process.
Make sure that the electrical system in your home is working correctly with help from the crew at Mister Sparky. Whether you need assistance from electrical contractors in Orange Park, FL, or would like a consultation from a professional in Jacksonville, our team is ready to help you improve your property.
When was the last time you made an effort to improve your electrical system? Our team has put together a short list to help you update your system:
- Schedule a System Checkup – If it has been a while since you had someone come out and check out your electrical system, then you should have a member of our team come to your location for an inspection. We can tell you about potential issues and let you know when the energy in your home is not able to work with your current AC unit and other appliances.
- Do a Personal Home Electrical Inspection – There are plenty of plugs and wires around your home that are used every day, but rarely inspected. Instead of letting them sit there, take a look at these outlets and cords to ensure that there are no loose-fitting plugs, frayed wires, or other issues.
- Start Replacing Broken and Inefficient Appliances – Are there appliances throughout your house that are on their last legs? Take some time to figure out what needs to be replaced and make the investment today. This is a wise idea for individuals who know they’ll be getting a decent tax return.
The Jacksonville electrical contractors at Mister Sparky are always available to assist you with your home electrical needs. From simple repairs to detailed inspections, our specialists are ready to help you.
2019 is here, so it’s time to start making resolutions. If one of your resolutions is to start saving money, our team can help! We have put together a small list of energy-saving tips for all homeowners:
- Change the Way You Do Laundry – As a homeowner, you know that your washer and dryer consume a large amount of energy. To lower costs in your home, you can start running these appliances at the lowest settings possible unless completely necessary. Additionally, you can stop splitting your loads into colors, darks, and whites.
- Stop Using Your Ice Maker – Your ice maker may be a useful tool in the summer, but you should know that it is one of the most significant power-sucking features. Start making ice in a plastic tray. You can cut the amount of power your refrigerator uses by about 20%.
- Have a Home Inspection – if you suspect that something in your home is making your energy bill ridiculously high, an electrical inspection may find the culprit. Have a specialist come out to your home to check out your wiring, outlets, and other parts of your electrical system.
Are you interested in more ideas? You can count on the team at Mister Sparky to assist you. Our electrical contractors in Orange Park, FL, are happy to help with repairs, updates, and new installations.
Are you interested in investing in an older home located in Riverside, Murray Hill, Springfield, or one of Jacksonville’s other historic areas? Before you do, it is crucial that you know you will most likely have to make some repairs. Here is a list of common electrical problems in older homes:
- Old Wiring – You may think the wiring in your older house is okay because it is working, but there could be many problems that you can’t see by flipping the light switch. Many older homes have wiring that has been damaged by pests or been worn down over time. If you keep old wiring in your home, it could start a fire.
- Outdated and Dead Outlets – Before you move into a home, check out all of the outlets to ensure that they are properly grounded and working. Many old houses have outlets that are no longer working correctly, as well as old two-prong outlets that are not made for our modern electronics.
- Flickering Lights – When you turn on the lights, do they flicker? This issue may happen occasionally but should not be happening all the time. If your lights constantly flicker, there may be a wiring issue or the light may be out of date. Additionally, it may be a sign that your electrical panel can no longer handle the power running through your home.
Make sure the energy in your home is working when you contact the Jacksonville electrical contractors at Mister Sparky. Our team is available to update and repair electrical problems in your home today.
The New Year is around the corner, which means it is time to start thinking about home upgrades and improvements. Here are a few recommendations from the team at Mister Sparky:
- Update Your Wiring – How long have you been living in your home? If you have been there for a few decades and have not had someone check out the wiring in your home, now is a great time to start. An electrician from our business can do an inspection to see if there are any potential problems.
- Have New Smoke Detectors Installed – You may not think about it, but smoke detectors are incredibly important. There have been many upgrades and updates made to smoke detectors over the last 20 years, so call us today. We will send out an electrician in Orange Park, FL, to your home.
- Expand Your System – Have you noticed that you are running out of electrical outlets in your home? You can have new outlets installed when you work with our team. Not only will we install new outlets, but our specialists will also update any older outlets that do not work correctly.
Call our electricians today at (904) 802-0579 to discuss your project. Our team is known for being responsive and working with you to ensure that your electrical system works properly.
Keeping your home safe means making sure that your electrical system is up to date. If you live in a home that was built before the 1960s, it is likely that you still have old two-prong outlets in some of your rooms. While these selections still work just fine, they are not as safe as newer three-prong outlets. Three-prong outlets feature a ground wire that is made to prevent electrical problems.
A ground wire is quite literally a wire that extends into the ground beneath your home. These wires were added to homes to ensure that excess electrical charges have a place to go during lighting strikes, transformer malfunctions, and other overloads. When a ground wire is not there, it can cause fires and damage appliances and other electrical items that are plugged in. Additionally, the electrical charge can go right through to a human who is touching the plug or outlet, which is very dangerous.
Have a specialist from Mister Sparky come out to your home to install a ground wire or make sure that your wire is working efficiently. We feature dedicated electrical contractors in Orange Park, FL, as well as Jacksonville, who will work hard to update and improve your system. For your peace of mind, all of our electricians are always respectful of your property and will arrive at your location in a timely manner.